The past 2 weeks at the lovely campus at IISc has seen another reason to go green and healthy. The much talked about bicycle sharing system – Namma Cycle – was finally launched on 6th August. Ever since, we have seen excitement, mayhem and a lot of encouragement from volunteers (thanks Roshan and Shyamala for being with us). Every new registration and every cycle that is rented (and returned safely) have added energy to the program.
6 new joinees, especially Sowmya, our first employee, have been running the system very naturally. That is the power of simplicity.
That said, we definitely need your support in making this an even bigger success so that we can see shared cycles across Bangalore very soon. We need people with the following skills/interests right now.
Paid opportunities: (can expect a salary of 7k and above, plus food)
1. Semi skilled programmers/computer literate people who can fix bugs in the software system as well as handle reporting, accounting, etc.
2. Computer/tablet users who can play the role of node managers who can issue cycles.
1. Writing an Android application for the bicycle sharing system. Currently we have a browser based application to handle registrations and cycle rentals, but we would love to have an Android app running on the tablets that the node managers use.
2. Mechanical engineers who can design a light-weight trailer for moving cycles
3. Teach young minds simple English/Hindi so our node managers can interact better with Namma Cycle users.
4. Curious, happy people who can hang around for sometime and provide moral support or just use the system and help bring out issues in the system.
Come, join us and see agile methodology in action, while we try to implement simple solutions to address our mobility needs!